This site is a collection of research and developing ideas for Dr Nick Kelly, Senior Research Fellow in Design and Education. My key areas of interest are design for online communities, beginning teacher social support, computational creativity, mathematics education, and situated design cognition.
Key research areas
See each of the links below for a snapshot of my areas of research. Otherwise I recommend the Google Scholar link in the left menu for the most recent research publications. The blog has occasional posts about work under development.
Research into online communities to support for pre-service and early career teachers:
- Support needs of pre-service and early career teachers (a 2014 paper about what these teachers think are important)
- Teacher use of social media (a 2016 study of teachers using public groups on Facebook) and (forthcoming: a study of teachers using private groups on Facebook)
- TeachConnect, a platform for Australian teachers (link to the platform) and a site with some meta-information about TeachConnect (StepUp project page).
Design principles for online communities:
- How to design online communities for teachers (a 2015 conference paper).
Situated design cognition:
- A paradigm for models of computational creativity (a 2016 paper describing this)
- Models of constructive interpretation (a paper about how computers can interpret more like designers ).
Dr Nick Kelly is a Senior Research Fellow at the Science and Engineering Faculty at Queensland University of Technology, and an Adjunct Senior Research Fellow at the Digital Life Lab at the University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba.
After receiving his PhD at The University of Sydney, he has been a post-doctoral researcher at the CoCo Research Centre at Sydney University and the Faculty of Education at the Pontificia Universidad Católica in Santiago, Chile. He has published over fifty scholarly works in books, journals and conference proceedings.
He is a project leader of the TeachConnect project and has conducted research on three ARC funded projects as well as two industry funded grants. He is an international consultant in the fields of learning analytics and online community design. He has been associate supervisor for a number of PhD students through to completion and a curriculum writer for a senior Queensland curriculum. He reviews for many international journals.